Sunday, August 30, 2009

U St with K






We took the Yellow Line up to U Street last night to eat at Ben's Chili Bowl, a DC landmark and a fun restaurant, and to walk around the neighborhood. (The biggest reason for the excursion was riding the Metro, a favorite to-do of Klara).

After half-smokes, fries, coleslaw, sweet tea or coke, we walked over to Howard University, where Klara ran around the grass on the upper quad.

Tony B. did a little feature on Ben's, including bits about the unique history and the tasty franks. As far as the celebrity panorama so evident in the place and throughout its past, I like the Bill Cosby part of it best.

[Or better, for a soundtrack to the whole thing, here's a classic by one of the neighborhood's well-known former residents. It captures summer in the city, even these years later, and some of what we're feeling during it.]


PS -- of course Klara needed to climb up the colorful bear statue that you see outside the restaurant. She likes to climb, and she likes bears.

3 comments:

Cari said...

I love Klara's list of favorite to-dos! Dancing, watching airplanes, riding the train? Whenever I'm at the fire station visiting Aunty Michelle, I wish Klara was with me. I think she would enjoy climbing all over the fire trucks.
Miss you guys!

Mindy Cano said...

Klara is so adorable I don't know where to start. She seems to have a lot of personality and seems strong willed. She's so beautiful & I love to see the pictures of you all as a family. Love to all of you!

mindy said...

that chili dog looks amazing!