Sunday, November 21, 2010

(Great) Grandma Caroline


Grandma Caroline has been recurrent in my thoughts and in the stirrings in my heart this past week. More, it seems to me, than any previous time. Through this Spirit-led reflection and prayer and remembrance, it feels like I "know" her now in a way I didn't before; that in some way I understand more about who she was. Meaning, I guess, that although I knew her in person when I was a child, now, even though she has gone on to the Lord, I somehow know her better.

Cari has helped enormously with that, for though she is the youngest of us Sana kids I think she understood Gram the best. Not only does she bear her name, but most resembles her in looks, spirit and personality. Mom, of course, reflects her most of all.

(Like her daughter) Grandma Caroline was a remarkable lady. I remember her as always even and gentle in manner, persistently kind and unaffected. No matter the pain or challenge, she did not complain or blame others. She did not ever seem to me too up or too down, or somehow undone, even as the latter years took much from her health and comforts. She had a reservoir of resilience, that I hope to also have, and to always resemble and to encourage -- first to Emily and the girls and then beyond.

Here is a photo of her. (I should note that when I showed it to Klara, she said matter-of-factly, "it's Aunt Cari.") A bit about her: Grandma "Cal" would look over a complicated article of clothing and then sit down and sew an exquisite reproduction. She taught sharpshooting at the UW, where she studied medicine until the time her father redirected her away from it and towards home economics. She was at home in a cabin by the beach and in the city, in the company of so-called "simple" people, amongst the "sophisticated" and whatever other group in which she found herself. I know that, along with our other cherished ones who have gone on, she is in the absolute best company now; where reality is finally what is truly and eternally what it should be, and all that is is "good," is God.

3 comments:

Cari said...

Amen. I miss Gram. Though I don't have many memories of her, the ones I do have are vivid. I cherish them. Thanks for writing this, brother x2.

Aunt Mindy said...

I miss Gram too. She was an amazing woman and I have very fond memories of her as well. She was a wealth of knowledge and a giving heart. I miss her often. Love to you all - Happy (late) Thanksgiving- hope it was great and Happy Anniversary!!! Love, the Canos

Anonymous said...

Thank you Marshall for your heart-felt comments about my Mom. She was truly a LADY, intelligent, strong yet gentle woman who absolutely loved her family. She would be so proud to watch her precious grandchildren grow, and her great grandchildren too!! She would love to meet her new granddaughter-in-law, and grandson-in-law too, in person that is ('cause I'm sure she is watching). FAMILY was her passion.

We are praying for a smooth & healthy delivery of our newest one, for the both of you Emily!

Love,
g.a.